Promotional Opportunities

Opportunities

Probationary Deputy Sheriff

Upon graduation, all new Deputy Sheriffs are assigned to a Field Training Instructor (FTI) on a shift for approximately 12 weeks where you will shadow the deputy, work calls together and ultimately be evaluated at the end of the training period. Upon successful completion of the Field Training period, you will be assigned to a shift where you will work either a fixed day schedule, beginning at 6:30 a.m. and ending at 7 p.m., or a fixed night schedule, beginning at 6:30 p.m. and ending at 7 a.m.

New Deputy Sheriffs are on probation for 12 months following graduation (this includes the 10 week Field Training period).

Deputy Sheriff II/Private First Class

You will be eligible for promotion to Deputy Sheriff First Class (C-18) after two years of satisfactory sworn service. Private First Class can be identified as one chevron located on both sides of their uniform collar.

Master Deputy Sheriff

Eligibility for a proficiency pay upgrade to Master Deputy Sheriff (C-19) is a competitive process open to Private First Class Deputy Sheriffs with five years of satisfactory sworn service. To compete in this process, you will take a written examination, which will count for 70% of your overall score. The remaining 30% will be based on your sworn service with the agency. You will be placed on an eligibility list, which is active for 18 months. Master Deputy Sheriff can be identified as one chevron with a star worn on both sides of their uniform collar.

Deputy Sheriff Sergeant

To be eligible for Sergeant, a deputy must have three years of full-time sworn experience as a Fairfax County Deputy Sheriff. In addition to time, a deputy must successfully pass a written multiple-choice exam, followed by a timed written exercise. The deputy also will have a panel interview, which will consist of questions that measure competencies related to the position. You will be placed on an eligibility list, which is active for 12 months. Sergeants can be identified by three chevrons worn on both sides of their uniform collar. A Deputy Sheriff Sergeant is a first-line supervisor.

Deputy Sheriff Second Lieutenant

After one year at the rank of Sergeant, you are eligible to promote to the rank of Second Lieutenant. To participate in this process, you will take a timed written exercise and participate in a panel interview, which will consist of questions developed to measure competencies related to the position. You will be placed on an eligibility list that is active for 12 months. Second Lieutenant can be identified by one gold bar worn on both sides of the collar of their uniform. Second Lieutenants serve in a leadership capacity, supervising and managing units (ex: Recruiting Unit).

Deputy Sheriff First Lieutenant

After one year at the rank of Second Lieutenant, you are eligible to promote to the rank of First Lieutenant. You will participate in a timed written exercise and a panel interview, which will consist of questions developed to measure competencies related to the position. You will be placed on an eligibility list that is active for 12 months. First Lieutenant can be identified by one silver bar worn on both sides of the collar of their uniform. First Lieutenants serve in a leadership capacity, commanding larger units (ex: Entire squad of the Adult Detention Center).

Deputy Sheriff Captain

The promotional process for the rank of Captain may consist of, but are not limited to, an interview, written exercise, and evaluation of each candidate’s qualifications. Candidates for the rank of Captain will participate in a promotional process that will announce a specific number of vacancies needing to be filled. Captains can be identified by 2 connected gold bars worn on both sides of the collar of their uniform.

Deputy Sheriff Major

The promotional process for the rank of Major may consist of, but are not limited to, an interview, written exercise, and evaluation of each candidate’s qualifications. Promotional processes for the rank of Major will be conducted each time a Major’s position becomes vacant and will result in a promotion to that specific position. Majors serve as part of the Sheriff’s Command Staff and are tasked with managing a division across the agency. Majors can be identified by one gold oak leaf worn on both sides of the collar of their uniform.